L&C Book Club: Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

July 17, 2014


There has been quite a lot of hype around this book lately and I even heard there will be a movie made based on this book, so I finally decided to join the bandwagon and I just finished it this morning. HOLY COW did I love this book...

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes is such a lovely novel and such an easy read. The story is based in England and it's written in some kind of British English. It took a little while for me to get used to it but in the end, it just adds to the charm of the story.

It's about a girl named Lou (Louisa Clark) who is 27 years old and she loses her job at The Buttered Bun café where she was actually quite content. She lives at home with her parents, her older sister, her sister's little boy and her grandfather. They're middle class and I love all the different characters of the household.

She goes job-hunting and lands an interview with the posh Mrs. Traynor who is looking for a carer for her 35 year old son, Will, who is quadriplegic. Despite her awkward interview, she gets the job and starts the next day.

Lou and Will don't really get along too well in the beginning, him being depressed and negative towards everything, her trying to be peppy and friendly and ultimately getting quite frustrated. After a while, though, they actually become friends, and then maybe even more than that...

Lou finds out that Will plans to go to Switzerland in a few months time to Dignitas , to receive "assistance with a self-determined end of life". She then plans all these outings, trips and holidays to try and show him that life can go on, even if it's a different life than he had expected.

OH MAN, I tell you, this book is awesome. It's humorous, it's sad, it's even a tearjerker at some points. I think I read it in a matter of days.

What I love most about this book is that it makes you think about quadriplegia, about euthanasia and about life in general.

I'd definitely recommend picking up a copy if you haven't already!

So tell me, have you read Me Before You? What did you think?


*This post is NOT sponsored. All opinions are my own.*

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. I really don't know why but it seems like I'm the only one who doesn't like that book... I was quite angry at the end of the book. Usually, I even cry because of such books but not with that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how interesting! What was it about the book you didn't like? Or what made you angry?

      Delete
  2. Seems like I missed the hype ;-) But it sounds like the kind of book that really draws you in and keeps a hold on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it totally does! I absolutely loved it. I'm actually reading "Gone Girl" now and it has the same kind of hold on me haha :) I can't seem to put it down!

      Delete
  3. I read this last month and loved it! So exciting that it's going to be made into a film too, I'll have to see what it compares to with how I imagined it :)xx

    Pillarbox Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I'm always so torn when I hear that a great book is being turned into a film. It kinda ruins the whole thing a bit when you don't like the actors they choose or when they change certain things. But I'm curious to see how it'll turn out! Do you know when they'll be releasing the movie? xx

      Delete
  4. Hi Michelle,

    This is one of my favourite books! I might have to re read it again. I love how the characters change and grow and it has all the right emotions.

    Hanh x | hanhabelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hanh! It's definitely one of my favorite books as well. I just lent it to a co-worker since I was raving about the book and she asked to read it. But when I get it back, I might re-read it as well ;-) Although I have so many books that I haven't read yet, haha!

      Delete

Disclaimer

All opinions and photography on this blog are my own unless otherwise stated.